2 Product Designers
Prop Store team
4 min read
Prop Store is one of the world's leading vendors of original props, costumes and related production materials from the television and cinema industries.
I was hired to manage and redesign the Prop Store website by the social media agency, ContentCal. Unfortunately, the project never launched. Despite 3+ months working on it, the budget was cut and my contract ended. It was tough but the mission was really insightful.
- Increase the sales
- Increase registration
- Improve user experience
- Simplify the website
A user-friendly website which is easy to navigate and where props can be found quickly.
After years of service, it’s time for the website to be redesigned. The main goal is to simplify the website experience by making it more user-friendly, which will lead to an increased sales volume.
The SEO Team made research on the users through surveys & Google analytics. This research enabled us to have a better understanding of the user needs and to know how they interact with the website.
We also used the service Mouseflow, which is a website analysis tool that lets us replay visitor sessions and see heatmaps showing where visitors click, scroll, and pay attention.
Based on this research, I created user personas to help identify who the users were and what needs they had.
- Own something cool
- Lot of money to spend
- Rare acquisition
- Connect with their favourite movie
- Spontaneous purchase
- Lot of money to spend
- Obtaining rare piece
- Always interested in details of a product
- Fear of regret
For each feature and page that I was working on, I did plenty of research.
I analysed hundreds of websites and applications. The goal was to see how others solve similar problems and try to not go back to square one.
As we had a very short amount of time to create the proposals, I learned excellent time-management skills.
I also learned from my mistakes, even if some of my proposals were quite popular among the 2 teams, they were not the right proposals for Prop Store. Though at first I attempted to reinvent Prop Store, I soon learned that the client was much more inclined towards a finished product built in the image of the existing model. My ideas were too different from the original, and needed to change according to their wishes.
Now that I understood their vision more clearly, I was able to go ahead and deliver a proposal that was tailored more fittingly to their needs.
It was an interesting project for me and I really learned a lot through this experience. We went toward a “final” version after those multiple options. Unfortunately and until this day, it never has been implemented. However the screens were made so please feel free to enjoy my final version made for Prop Store
Thank you for reading!
Any questions, work inquiry, let’s get in touch.